You must first get medical treatment. Your health‑care provider will assist you in completing a Report of Industrial Injury or Occupational Disease and files your claim with L&I.

If you work for a self‑insured employer, your employer will provide you with a Self‑Insurer Accident Report (SIF‑2) and assist you in completing the form. Your health‑care provider submits the Provider’s Initial Report (PIR) to the self-insured employer.

About a third of all Washington employees work for self‑insured employers.