The Project HELP Program is a cooperative effort between the Washington State Labor Council, the state’s business community, and the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries. The goal of the program is to facilitate the early and successful resolution of workers’ compensation claims.

Normally, injured workers’ claims are resolved without any problems. But when a combination of complex laws and claims issues come together, it may create a situation that’s anything but normal. This is why Project HELP was created:

  • To expedite claims resolution
  • To ensure that all rights are preserved and protected
  • To reduce unnecessary litigation
  • To provide information and assistance, free of charge
  • To offer educational workshops on the fundamentals of workers’ compensation

If you need assistance with a workers’ compensation claim, contact Project HELP:


Workers’ compensation claims assistance online!

Injured workers in Washington state can review their claims online — although not all self-insured claims may be accessible. Set up your user ID and password, and then you can view your claim information. If you need assistance accessing your claim information online, call the Claim and Account Center Helpline at 360-902-5999.  In addition, workers’ compensation appeals can also be filed online at the Board of Industrial Insurance appeals website.

For free claims assistance, call Project HELP at 1-800-255-9752.

Questions & Answers Workers Have:

Washington is a no-fault state, so L&I will cover an allowable claim for a workplace injury regardless of who is at fault. This rule also applies to self‑insured employers.

If you were hurt at a specific time and place where you work, you should be covered, though there are exceptions. Occupational diseases — specific conditions that result from certain types of work over time — also may be covered.

You must first get medical treatment. Your health‑care provider will assist you in completing a Report of Industrial Injury or Occupational Disease and files your claim with L&I.

If you work for a self‑insured employer, your employer will provide you with a Self‑Insurer Accident Report (SIF‑2) and assist you in completing the form. Your health‑care provider submits the Provider’s Initial Report (PIR) to the self-insured employer.

About a third of all Washington employees work for self‑insured employers.

Yes. You may choose any doctor who is qualified to treat your injury. They include: medical, osteopathic, chiropractic, naturopathic and podiatric, physicians, dentists, optometrists and Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioners. You also may get a second medical opinion if your claim manager approves it.

You have the right to choose your doctor and also to decide who, if anyone, you want to accompany you to the doctor. You have the right to decline to have the company nurse or any employer representative accompany you to the hospital, doctor, or any other medical visit. Your employer can’t discriminate or retaliate against you. Contact L&I if you need assistance.

You may see a company doctor if you wish, but you have the right to choose your own doctor.

If so, worker rights and benefits are the same. However, your employer, not L&I, handles your paperwork and pays for the claim.

If you disagree with how your self‑insured employer or their representative is managing your claim, contact Self‑Insurance at L&I to find your L&I claim manager so you can contact them directly.

About a third of all Washington employees work for self‑insured employers.

Many injured workers don’t have a regular health‑care provider. If this is you, do your research. Ask contacts in your community for recommendations. Make sure your health‑care provider is qualified to treat your injury and is familiar with the workers’ compensation system. Go to the American Medical Association’s Web site ( to search for a health‑care provide or the Washington State Medical Association’s Web site ( or the Washington State Chiropractic Association’s Web site ( for consumer advice. You can get help Finding a Doctor near you. Not satisfied with your care? You have the right to change health‑care providers or to seek a second opinion.

Load More